Shinnecock (Great West) Bay Lighthouse was located in Ponquogue, near
Hampton Bays of Southhampton Township. The lighthouse was situated at Ponquogue Point on
the Shinnecock Bay.
The Shinnecock (Ponquogue Point) Lighthouse was established in 1858. The
coastal fogs and frequent storms made land marks and lighthouse identification difficult.
The signal characterisitcs of the Shinnecock Light had to be altered to differentiate it
from its Montauk Point predecessor and prevent potential wrecks from unwary mariners.
View Images of the Former Shinnecock Lighthouse
Former Shinnecock Site
Lighthouse Viewing Guide - Maps, Driving Directions & "Lighthousing with Bob
& Mary Ann"
US Coast Guard
Photo of Former Light Station